Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I Was Making My Child Fat

I almost slapped Jesse.  She deserved it.  Let me rewind.  During the first month that I was working out, I mentioned my son while telling Jesse something.  She said matter-of-factly:  "Oh yeah, I've seen your fat kid on facebook."  I froze.  I wanted to slap her.  I wanted to kill her.  How dare she talk about my perfect baby like that?!  I told her that under no circumstances should she ever say something like that about someones child.  Don't poke a mama bear.  Then I started thinking about what she said.  It.  Was.  True.  Horrible guilt rushed over me as I realized that I had made my child overweight.  He wasn't driving to fast food, I was.  We have made major changes in our household the past six months, and Gabriel is thriving!  We don't weigh him and I'm not going to post pics of him, but everyone that sees him has said that he has lost weight.  I can see it too.  He is also more active, probably because I am able to be active with him.  I have probably cut his daily calorie intake in half!  Seriously, with little effort.  He even still gets his beloved mac n cheese, just not as often nor as much.  Better yet, I am teaching Gabriel why we are making these changes and letting him make his own food choices.  We talk about healthy choices and how to make them.  He doesn't ask for fast food any more, and is happy with the occasional Subway sandwich as a fast food treat.  I have cut that down from a 12" to a 6".  Portion control, what a concept.  I am very careful not to put too much emphases on food with Gabriel.  I don't want him to think he is some fat kid that is on a diet.  (Diet is not the word, lifestyle is.)  I simply want him to learn how to make healthy choices, why he should make them, and hopefully he won't have to go through what I am now.

Why am I writing this?  Why am I calling myself out?  Someone has to be honest, and I guess I'll take one for the team.  Let's face it, when do you see just one overweight person in a family?  Never.  It's always more than one and more than likely it's the entire family.  Mom, Dad and kids are all heavy.  Look around America, duh, we know we're all fat.  Let's do something about it!  Disneyland, my other love after the gym, is constantly making "improvements" and "changes" to their existing rides to accommodate their growing consumer.  The areas of the park that are original to 1955 will show you the size of the average 1950 American and it will shock you! 

Wake up.  If you want to slowly kill yourself, well, I can't help you.  But why would you want that for your child?  Why would you want your child bigger than their classmates?  Look in the mirror.  If you are fat I bet your kids are.  #sorrynotsorry  Own your truth!!!  You cannot teach your children a healthier lifestyle unless you too have one.  You are their example and they are at your mercy!  They will get hungry and eat anything that is in the house.  You choose if that is a banana or Twinkies.  It's January, right?  What are you waiting for? 

And to all the haters that think Jesse is so mean and you can't believe the way she speaks to me, get over it!!  This is a HUGE, pun intended, mental and physical change I am going through. There is no way I could be doing this on my own or without the self realization that I get working out with her.  So just, stop.  She is also a friend and I know she wouldn't just speak to anyone like that, so really, chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment