Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Taste Imaginary Big Macs...and Other Struggles of Being a Food Addict

The other day I was driving with my trainer, Jesse, and just like Pavlov's dog, my mouth watered and I swear I tasted a Big Mac.  I have eaten Mc Donald's exactly once since I started working out and I promptly got sick.  Lately I have been craving a Big Mac so badly, so very badly.  I don't know if I am a food addict, but I have issues with food to say the least.  I mean who tastes imaginary Big Macs?! 

According to WebMD, "experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food."  That really sounds like food, cocaine and heroin are about the same, addictive wise, to some people.  Sadly, you hit rock bottom much slower with food than you do with drugs because unlike cocaine and heroin, you can't give food up.  A friend of mine shared this quote with me from a morbidly obese man he knew:  "Imagine trying to quit drinking alcohol by drinking alcohol three times a day."  Let that really sink in and you will understand what food addicts go through.  I literally had to tell my husband that he needed to take over the grocery shopping.  It was too much for me.  I know I'll have to get over this, but for now, I see no need to enter a store that has anything and everything I want.  Too many temptations, no one to stop me.  Don't get me wrong, I've made major improvements in my mental fitness.  I would never buy a bag of chips and go home and eat them.  I even made it through the Super Bowl without eating ANY junk food!  But still, it's just a bit difficult to go to a grocery store.  My last trip to CVS, couponing ;-), I had 6 bags of Chex Mix in my cart and almost bought them!!!  I came to my senses and put them all back.  Who needs that much Chex Mix?!

I had my light bulb moment a few years ago.  My husband and son were playing in the other room, happily.  Happy sounds were coming from the other room.  Sunshine was coming in the windows, it was a beautiful California day.  Life could not have been better at that moment, and I sat scowling, alone on the couch, thinking: "If I only had a bag of chips, I'd be happy."  Whoa.  Like, whoa!!!  Chips??!!!  Really??!!!  I got up off my ass and joined my family.  It was at that moment that I realized that I had been emotionally eating for awhile.  Years.  I can remember driving home from the store with a week's worth of groceries and only thinking about the junk food I had bought.  It would be the first thing I went for.  It made me happy. 

Now let's go back to that cocaine/heroin/food thing.  If I asked my husband to bring me home some cocaine or heroin, he'd think I was crazy and refuse!  But if I asked him to bring me home a bag of chips or candy, he would, happily.  He and I had to realize and admit that he was my enabler.  Yeah, it's a total thing not limited to AA, lol.  He told me I would get angry at him if he didn't bring me my junk food.  I believe that.  He has now committed to not bring me junk food.  If I want it that badly, I can go get it myself.  I'll admit, this has caused some tiffs, but I appreciate that he is committed to supporting me in this journey any way he can.  He went shopping this week and came home with tons of veggies, fruit, chicken, turkey, and men's body wash...no women's.  Baby steps...

Here is how I learned and continue to deal with my love of food.  This is simply what has worked/works for me.

1.)  Most importantly, I have admitted to myself that I have an issue with food.  You cannot change what you don't acknowledge.  Until my light bulb moment, I honestly didn't see it.  I didn't see it.  :-(  Even now that I see I have an issue, I still struggle with it daily.  Pretty sure this will be a lifetime struggle.  I have accepted that I can no longer celebrate by over indulging in food, food cannot be a source of pleasure for me, food is fuel.

2.)  I counted my calories with My Fitness Pal, an iphone app.  It only took me a few weeks to learn the calories and fat content in the food I eat.  Now I don't bother to track my food, I know enough to be able to hit my caloric goal and what will send me over it. (I've been on a 1200 - 1500 calorie diet since I started working out with Jesse.)

3.)  I keep absolutely nothing I can't eat in the house.  Even then, the bread and crackers that are a staple in this home are a daily temptation.  I never thought I would be tempted by a Triscuit, but the struggle is real.  Almonds or dark chocolate covered pomegranates have become my new favorite snacks. A very small amount of either with fill me up and settle that salt or sugar craving.

4.)  I try to trick my body into thinking I'm full.  Let's face it, I'm not starving.  So if I'm getting that munchie craving, I try to drink water and fill my tummy that way.  It doesn't always work, but hey, it's worth a shot.

5.)  I avoid places where there is temptation.  Fast food restaurants, center aisles at grocery stores and cheese shops.  ;-)

6.)  Lastly, I tell myself constantly:  "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels."  #truth

Do you think you have an issue with food?  Let me tell you this:  If you're getting excited when food is served to you, or at the thought of eating your favorite food, you probably have some sort of an issue.  My friends without food issues do not get excited over food.  They're just wired differently.  Guess what?  I still get excited over the thought of food, but I have given my body and taste buds time to change.  It's worked!!  I ate a handful of Chex Mix the other day and almost spit it out it was so salty.  I now get excited over working out, and making it through the day eating clean.  Who am I?!

**Disclaimer:  Sarah Angelique is not a doctor.  She picks out linens and bosses around unruly groomsmen for a living.










No comments:

Post a Comment